WELCOME TO AFFORDABLE RENTALS BRISBANE

YOU ARE INVITED TO BROWSE AS LONG AS YOU LIKE. In this blog we will write articles about the Social Security System and those issues, that affects people that rent, and also those that own properties for rent. We hope that our articles will help them understand the situation better. L S H.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Australia the land of opportunity

WELCOME TO BRISBANE AFFORDABLE RENTALS, IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THEREIN TO GET IN TOUCH WITH US.
-
Welcome to our blog, affordable rentals
and this post, Australia the land of opportunity
-
But, is Australia still the land of opportunity?
-

Even today a lot of people believe that Australia is still the lucky country and the land of opportunities, I believe that it is still a good country to live in, but how does it compare with the old Australian way of life of the sixties and there about, which is the time when I came to Australia.  

In Australia early in the sixties there was work in the building, so, if you were strong and willing to work hard, you would easily find work on the building sites.






-
Some type of brickwork we used to do in the sixties, what is shown here is a brick-base, which most likely would have a timber house on it. The Australian building industry has been slowly changing in Australia, from timber houses to part brick and part timber house, and today there are house that are mostly built with bricks and mortar.




But, is Australia still the land of opportunity?
Dear readers, this post is the continuation of our previous post called, work opportunity in Australia, where we would like to compare the old opportunities that we had in the sixties or there about and the opportunities that exist today; so, in this case we would have to ask; is Australia still the land of opportunities?
Now, if I have to use my own personal experience as a standard, then I have to say that today in Australia work opportunities are not as good as they used to be. But then not everything is or might be as it seems to me, because my judgement is that of a single person and therefore I might be wrong.
Anyhow let us try to see what has changed since I came to Australia in the sixties. There are many things that have changed since then, because of the progress humanity has made and continues to make even today; therefore working opportunities have also changed a lot, so today it is a lot harder to find a manual job; this is due to the fact that today we do not need as many hands to do a job as we used to in the past, because a lot of the hard labour is being done from machines, therefore people that have no skills and rely only on their physical strength are not in high demand, for this reason there are a lot less jobs available for these people, but if people have a trade or have studied there may well be opportunities for them.
Now that we have explained how we see today working opportunities, allow me to go back to the days when I came to Australia, so that I could tell you what sort of opportunities existed then, and after that we might be able to compare with what opportunities are available today.
In order to understand what we are going to say next, it is important also to know that economies and for that matter opportunities for jobs have high and lows of their own, therefore this effects everybody around that are looking for work. 
Now if you do not mind let me tell you my own experience when I came to Australia, because this is probably the only way that we might be able to compare the work opportunity situation, while at the same time, I would be telling you my life story that could also be used to compare with today ways of living.
There have been times in Australia when everybody had a job, so there was no unemployment at all, from stories that I have been told from people that were already here when I came, there have been times that the employers had not enough employees and they would go down to the wharfs when the ships arrived and select a few people that seemed good enough for them to do their jobs, therefore, in those days there were no unemployed people, but unfortunately those times are rare and did not last long, as I said working opportunities go up and down.
Now to compare those times with today’s’ opportunities, we are going to describe to you hereunder part of my own life story, and therefore, what I found easy or hard to cope with when I came here, and then how I was able to cope with the hardship of those times and the way that those things became solved, as this is the only way that I know how to measure, whether Australia is still the land of opportunities, so let us see what sorts of opportunities were available then.
-----------------------------------
What sort of opportunities were available in Australia in the sixties
When I arrived in Australia in March 1961 my relative and friends were all working, at the same time they were telling me that there were not many job vacancies readily available, so, I had to be patient until a job would be available. But what sort of work I could do they were not sure just we had to wait and see, what I knew about working for other people was that if a job was offered to me I had to work hard, since in my country when we hired some workers to do some work in our family farm, we would aspect them to work hard so that they would earn their pay, therefore I was in my right frame of mind to go out and work hard, whatever job was offered would do me just fine. I have said this, because it is necessary to understand that whoever attempts to migrate to another country, he/she must be ready to work hard if they want to succeed, and it all boils down to this that you need to do a fair work day for fair daily pay.
Beside my willingness to work I was also young and fit enough to do any manual job that I was offered, the only problem was that I didn't speak English, I had learned perhaps a few words on the way to Australia while we were sailing, as there was an English teacher on the ship for that purpose. But as we all know English is a very hard language to learn, especially if one comes from a country that their language is phonetic and once you know some rules, one can read from a book and somehow come close to the sound that those written words are pronounced, but English is not written phonetically so to learn English one must be exposed to the English speaking people and slowly learn from them, so as you can see I and other emigrant like me had a lot to learn, before we could speak English well enough to look after ourselves and to fit in the Australian speaking community.
Anyhow, now let us tell you that although I had very little English somehow everything turned out all right in the end, perhaps this is another reason why people think that Australia is still the land of opportunities, we think it is based on the assumption that because people before us have been able to succeed, we will be able to succeed as well.  
For me when I came to Australia I was still thinking the Italian ways, so, I was thinking that I was on my own and I had to find my own way around, but here I had a pleasant surprise when for the first time some relative took me to see the unemployment office.
In Italy when you go to an Italian office if you want something done quickly you need to know somebody in there, otherwise before your turn comes the office hours are over and you have to come back the day after, so I was wondering how could we succeed in these Australian offices, since I didn’t speak English and my friend was just a little bit better than me.
Anyhow we waited our turn and soon we were being interviewed from this middle aged man that seemed to have so much patience and understanding of the whole situation, he slowly worked out what we wanted by asking and repeating what we did not understand, and he noted everything down as he asked me many things to see what sort of job I would be able to do, I remember even now that one of his questions was if I were afraid of heights and I said no as I was going up some tall trees to prune them, he also asked if I knew anything about building or building maintenance, here again I said yes as we sometimes would repair some farm building. I believe that these two things gave me the first job in the building industry, as I was called one day to go to work for the first time in Australia. My first job was on a chimney stack in the brickworks where bricks are made, which somehow I managed to hold for a couple of weeks, until a bigger gang came and I became a bit confused in the middle of all those people, and I lost my first job for lack of knowledge or lack of understanding English. But anyhow I had my first work experience and I was sure that soon there was going to be another one.
Before I close this page and start another one, I really want to say that Australia is/was a great country to be in, just because people are given their opportunities as they deserve, as long as they are willing to work hard for what they deserve.
And in the unemployment offices the officers are just great people to deal with, or at least they were when I came to Australia. I am going to continue this article and talk about how I ended up working in the Australian building industry for good.
But I believe that this post is becoming too long, so I will continue this same issue in our next post, where we are going to talk about, working in the Australian building industry. See, you next time.  

----------------------------------- 
Affordable Rentals 
Australia the land of opportunity 

IS TO BE CONTINUED; 
Next time with, Australian building industry   

---------------------------------------
 Some helpful links here under
Yola.com

No comments: